Monday 11 April 2016

The Top 10 Edinburgh Breakfast Spots Summary!

So, after having spent 10 weeks reviewing the top ten best breakfast spots in Edinburgh from this list, Gary and I decided to rank the places from worst to best, add in any additional comments and say whether or not we would recommend them to other people.

If you are interested in checking out any of the full reviews for any of the breakfast spots listed here, each title is linked to the original blog review. 

Here they are - the top 10 best breakfast spots in Edinburgh, ranked worst to best from our experiences:

10. Clock Café and Diner in Dalry 
Our Scores
Gary - 2.8/6 
 Me - I still feel sick from looking at the photos of our food

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - No, the food made me ill though I might go back to the Morningside branch for lunch. 
Me - No, I felt sick mere minutes after 'finishing' my food. It was just greasy, fatty slop. Though I might be open to trying another branch as they have slightly different menus, and will definitely have different cooks! 

9. Kilimanjaro in Newington 
Our Scores
Gary - 1.8/6 
 Me - absolute rubbish - do not go 

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - No, I will never actively go to Kilimanjaro, they fucked up big time and it wasn't enjoyable at all. 
Me - No, the food was acceptable but the service was such a huge let down that I would be extremely reluctant to go back. There's loads of other cafés in the vicinity that I'd pick over it based on poor service alone. 

8. City Café off the Royal Mile 
Our Scores
Gary - 2.8/6 
 Me - meh 

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - Maybe, I'd go to City Cafe for dinner as I'd like to see what the food was like. 
Me - Maybe, I've been back again since breakfast and the same dour faced waitress is still there and constantly in some sort of strop. The service really leaves something to be desired there but I'd be willing to go back to try their lunch and/or dinner menu. 

7. Heller's Kitchen on Salisbury Place 
Our Scores
Gary - 4.2/6 
 Me - I wouldn't talk you out of going but wouldn't recommend or return

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - No, Heller's Kitchen made the crucial sugar mistake and that can't be forgiven... 
Me - Maybe, despite my initial rating saying I wouldn't recommend - the food was fine but the biggest annoyance was having to keep asking for sugar. If you could get past that (Gary and I clearly can't!), it's a nice little spot to get breakfast. 

6. Royal McGregor on the Royal Mile 
Our Scores
Gary - 4.5/6 
Me - nice but nothing special

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - Maybe, I'd go back if I was in the area again, but it's a bit generic and don't order the pancakes unless you like cinnamon. 
Me - Maybe, the food was nice but there was nothing that really stuck out about this place that would make me tell you to go there over other places. 

5. Nobles Bar in Leith 
Our Scores
Gary - 4.8/6 
Me - good food, good service and would recommend if you were in the area but I wouldn't go out my way to go back

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - Maybe, it's really nice inside and they eggs are good. 
Me - Yes, if you were in the area - the food was really tasty, the service was nice and I really loved the décor. However, I am never in that area of town so I wouldn't rush back myself. 

4. CJs Café in Dalry 
Our Scores
Gary - 5.2/6 
Me - very nice food and would recommend for cooked breakfasts

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - Maybe, I'd go back if I was in the area. It's a traditional greasy spoon. 
Me - Yes, the food was nicely cooked and it felt comfortable and homely if you can get past the Broons memorabilia, though from the sounds of it that actually sold it to a few of you! 

3. Blue Bear Café in Stockbridge 
Our Scores
Gary - 5.4/6 
Me - tasty food, would recommend

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - Yes, the staff are really nice, the food was very good and it just has a really nice feel to it 
Me - Yes, the food was so tasty and the service was great. It was a busy place but I'd love to go back if I was able to get a table as the food was delicious and healthy tasting. 

2. Piece Box in Polwarth 
Our Scores
Gary - 6/6 
Me - great, would go again and would recommend

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - Yes, I had a really nice fried breakfast, lovely tea and I really liked just sitting there. 
Me - Yes, despite me ordering a car crash of a breakfast (the infamous 'Nod to Norway'), I could tell it was the kind of place that did really nice food and it was lovely sitting in our comfy seats by the window and drinking up our tea and eating cake. The service was fantastic too and felt really genuine. 

1. Roseleaf in Leith 
Our Scores
Gary - 6.5/6 (that good) 
Me - excellent 

Would we recommend? Y/N and why? 
Gary - Definitely yes, everything about it was perfect, genuinely never had such a good breakfast. 
Me - 100% yes, the food was the tastiest of the lot and the service was so warm and so genuine from the owner of the place. This is the one place I would actually go out of my way to go back to and have breakfast or any other meal. If you get the chance you absolutely must go! 

Thanks again to everyone who liked or commented on my reviews and a huge thank you to everyone who's messaged me or even come up to me in person and asked me about the reviews and told me how much they've enjoyed them. I genuinely thought I'd be posting this just for myself and Gary but it's been really heartening having people take an active interest in the reviews, so thank you everyone who engaged with them - it was much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment