Thursday 7 April 2016

Breakfast List #1, Breakfast #9, Clock Café and Diner on Dalry Road

Breakfast #9 on the list

Clock Café and Diner on Dalry Road

Originally reviewed on May 3rd, 2015

His score: 2.8/6
My score: I still feel sick from looking at the photos of our food, and ick

He ate: traditional breakfast (£5.70) with an English Breakfast tea (£1.70)
I ate:  a full breakfast (£5.95) and an English breakfast tea (£1.70) 
Total cost: £15.05

Our pros: nice service; cheap tea; complimentary OJ and toast with breakfast and a little biscuit with the tea; condiments on the table and reasonably cheap prices for everything.
Our Cons: fatty/salty tasting bacon; food slopped on plates with no finesse or presentation; microwaved eggs (is it that hard to fry eggs?!); no real distinguishing difference between both breakfast types that we ordered; very little selection for choosing breakfast-type foods; both felt unwell at the end of our meals and I couldn't even finish mine, and there was literally nothing that stood out about this place - it was so forgettable I didn't even remember to take a photo of the place after we left.

Our experience: There's unfortunately not much we can say about this one. Gary describes the place as "inoffensive" and "forgettable" and I would have to agree. I think I even have more photos for this review than words to describe it!

The place had some massive clown-sized shoes to fill after last week's Roseleaf Café admittedly but the food here sat in our stomachs and made us feel sick afterwards, and I mean immediately afterwards i.e. when our plates were still sat on the table after we'd admitted defeat on the food. 

I also couldn't finish my meal and barely touched my bacon because it tasted so salty and fatty. This upsets me greatly as I normally love bacon! 

The food was slopped on our plates and hidden under a mound of beans and it was disheartening ordering food with so little to choose from breakfast-wise as there was only really full cooked breakfasts, slightly smaller full cooked breakfasts or a vegetarian cooked breakfast unless you wanted a £2 croissant. 

I would probably never go back here - the service we got was polite and adequate but nothing stood out about this place other than the badly cooked food which would be enough to put me off a return visit. 


CJs Café is a 30 second walk from this place and I would choose that café over this one in a heartbeat. 

 
 There seems to be branches of this café in Morningside and Leith, so perhaps the food is better elsewhere but we were not impressed today. 

What’s next: (the final one!) is the Royal McGregor on the Royal Mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment